FPAR 2.0 Reporting Updates
OPA created a one pager explaining updates to the Family Planning Annual Report (FPAR) reporting process, including frequently asked questions.
PDF content is undergoing Section 508 review and will be updated pending remediation. For immediate assistance, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Planning Annual Report (FPAR) 2.0 is the next iteration of FPAR data reporting that will collect encounter level data for Title X family planning service grantees. FPAR 2.0 will allow for improved data collection, reporting, and analysis that will ultimately allow for more opportunities to improve service delivery. The current method of aggregate level FPAR 1.0 data reporting will end in 2022 (see table below).
Grantees will start collecting encounter-level data in 2022 and report it for the first time in 2023. A new data system for grantees to upload FPAR data is in development. OPA will work with grantees to provide features, analyses, and reports that utilize FPAR data and will help inform quality improvement efforts.
This page will be updated regularly with updates on the transition to FPAR 2.0.
FPAR 2.0 Resources
Excel and PDF content in this section is undergoing Section 508 review and will be updated pending remediation. For immediate assistance, please contact: email@example.com.
An updated Data Element file has been posted below. The updated file contains a README tab with guidance for using the file, and a log describing key updates to the data element file posted in May 2021.
The Implementation Guide contains important information for use by grantees, data vendors, and other stakeholders. It provides grantees with (1) a brief introduction to FPAR 2.0, (2) general instructions on completing the FPAR, (3) a review of key terms and definitions, (4) guidance on FPAR 2.0 reporting pathways, (5) FPAR 2.0 data requirements, (6) information on FPAR 2.0 data privacy, and (7) technical assistance resources. Also, included in the Implementation Guide are the Business Rules for the FPAR 2.0 data elements. For ease of use, these are also provided as a separate document.
All grantees should submit a waiver application in order to notify OPA if they intend to submit FPAR 2.0 data or if they will use the alternate reporting pathway. The deadline for submission is November 1, 2021. For those applying to use the alternate pathway, decisions will be communicated no later than November 30, 2021.
The link to the waiver was sent to grantees in email. If you need it resent, please contact your federal project officer.
Frequently Asked Questions
The FAQ page lists frequently asked questions received through webinars, the Title X conference, and through emails to OPA and TA vendors. This page will be updated frequently and will serve as a resource for grantees and data system vendors.
OPA and its contractors will provide comprehensive technical assistance (TA) using a collaborative and coordinated approach to help grantees transition to the new FPAR 2.0 data system. These activities include group and individualized technical assistance to end users of the system via formal trainings, written materials, and other documentation. TA materials and assistance is available to grantees, subrecipients, and EHR vendors. Note, only grantees will have access to submit data, so we encourage ongoing coordination between grantees and their partners.
- Inquiries regarding the data system, data elements, implementation guide, waiver process, or FAQs can be submitted to the help desk FPARSupport@mathematica-mpr.com with a cc to your federal project officer.
- Other technical assistance requests can be submitted to RHNTC@JSI.com or through the “Request Technical Assistance” option at RHNTC.org.
Timeline for Transition from FPAR 1.0 to FPAR 2.0
* If needed, apply for waiver to submit FPAR data with the alternate reporting pathway.
2021: OPA and Title X grantees prepare for transition to FPAR 2.0
- Report aggregate 2020 FPAR 1.0 data – Completed
- Collect aggregate 2021 FPAR 1.0 data – In progress
- Throughout 2021: User feedback and testing by stakeholders, including OPA leadership, federal project officers, and technical working groups, gathered for FPAR 2.0 data system development.
- Late 2021: Early adoption of FPAR 2.0 data system by volunteers (minimally viable product stage)
- January 8 to February 16, 2021: grantees reported 2020 FPAR 1.0 data
- February 11, 2021: 60-day FRN posted
- March 16, 2021: Title X grantee webinar with FPAR 2.0 updates on OMB, data elements, and technical assistance
- April 12, 2021: 60-day FRN closed
- May 27, 2021: Title X grantee webinar with FPAR 2.0 updates
- June 10, 2021: 30-day FRN posted
- July 12, 2021: 30-day FRN closed
- OMB clearance received for FPAR 2.0 data collection. OMB control number 0990-0479. Expires 9/30/2024
2022: Last reporting of FPAR 1.0 data; FPAR 2.0 encounter level data collection starts
- Early 2022: Grantees report 2021 FPAR 1.0 data
- Data system contractor works with grantees to test and assess reporting systems
- Grantees collect FPAR 2.0 encounter level data for 2022
2023: First reporting of FPAR 2.0 data
- Grantees report 2022 FPAR 2.0 encounter level data
- Grantees collect FPAR 2.0 encounter level data for 2023
Title X grantees should continue to send FPAR 2.0 questions to their federal project officer.