OPA Publications include reports and briefs from implementation and impact evaluations and an economic evaluation. Materials in development or produced before June 2019 were authored by the Office of Adolescent Health (OAH).
PDF content is undergoing Section 508 review and will be updated pending remediation. For immediate assistance, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teen Pregnancy Prevention
- Successful Approaches to Engage Parents in Programs to Prevent Teen Pregnancy - PDF (August 2020)
- Understanding How Components of An Intervention Can Influence Outcomes - PDF (March 2020)
TPP Replication Study Findings
The Teen Pregnancy Prevention (TPP) Replication Study (2010-2015) was an experimental study that examined the implementation and impact of three replications of three evidence-based program models: Reducing the Risk, ¡Cuídate!, and Safer Sex. The study examined whether program models that were commonly chosen by TPP grantees and widely used in the field could achieve impacts with different populations and settings. Read the study overview, design reports, site profiles, and findings briefs and reports on the TPP Replication Study page.
Economic Evaluation of Select Evidence-Based TPP Programs
- Overview of Cost Study Findings - PDF (September 2017)
Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Approaches Study
The Evaluation of Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Approaches study (2008-2016) was an experimental study that assessed the implementation and impact of seven innovative strategies and untested approaches for preventing teenage pregnancy. There are three TPP Research and Demonstration grantees (Tier 2), three ACYF Personal Responsibility Education Program Innovative Strategies (PREIS) grantees, and one non-federally funded program included in the evaluation. Read the site implementation and impact reports as well as a final report and fact sheet on the Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Approaches Study page.
Sustainability Study of Former TPP Programs Results
The Sustainability Study of Former TPP Programs (2015-2018) examined how former TPP programs funded by OAH (now OPA) sustained their work after federal funding ended. The study focused on a total of 71 former grantees who were not awarded renewed funding in the TPP program and PAF program. Get lessons learned and case study reports on the Sustainability Study of Former TPP Programs page.
Meta-Analysis of Federally Funded TPP Programs
The Meta-Analysis of Federally Funded TPP Programs (2015-2019) looked at findings from over 40 studies to learn about teen pregnancy prevention from federally-funded programs that have already been evaluated. The study provided a look at what existing evaluations suggest about how the types of programs, the ways they do their work, and the participants they draw work together to reduce teen pregnancy. Get the project description, design and analysis plan, research brief, final report, and technical supplement on the Meta-Analysis of Federally Funded TPP Programs page.
FY2010-2014 Program Evaluation Reports
The Fiscal Year 2010-2014 TPP grant types that were rigorously evaluated were (1) replications of evidence-based programs to prevent teen pregnancy and/or associated sexual risk behaviors; and (2) new and innovative programs to prevent teen pregnancy. Study designs included random assignment and high-quality quasi-experimental evaluations. Read the program evaluation reports on the Grantee Evaluations FY2010-2014 page.
For more information:
- Implementing Community-Wide Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiatives (A supplement of the Journal of Adolescent Health; March 2017)
- Building the Evidence to Prevent Adolescent Pregnancy: Office of Adolescent Health Impact Studies (A supplement of the American Journal of Public Health; September 2016)
- Summary of TPP Tier 1 Program Evaluation Results - PDF (Fall 2016)
- Summary of TPP Tier 2 Program Evaluation Results - PDF (Fall 2016)
- Summary of Programs Found Effective at Changing Behaviors (Fall 2016)
- Implementing Evidence-Based Teen Pregnancy Prevention Programs: Legislation to Practice (A supplement of the Journal of Adolescent Health; March 2014)
- Evaluation of Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Approaches: Design of the Impact Study - PDF (October 2012)
Expectant and Parenting Youth
OAH, which merged with OPA in 2019, led evaluations of programs designed to support expectant and parenting youth. For reports from evaluation and sustainability studies, see the Pregnancy Assistance Fund Program Evaluations section.
For more information:
- Supporting Expectant and Parenting Teens: The Pregnancy Assistance Fund (A supplement of the Maternal and Child Health Journal; September 2020)
- Examining the Effects of an Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Program by Risk Profiles: A More Nuanced Approach to Program Evaluation (March 2019)